Saturday, April 25, 2009

Santiago

My return to Canada was wonderful but short-lived. I spent a month working in Toronto and I had passed just 10 beautiful days in Vancouver and then found myself back on a Chile-bound airplane. That morning, as I ate my soggy eggs in a plastic container and looked out over the infinite sea of clouds blanketing the pacific I thought about what it means to personally spew 2 1/2 tons of carbon on 'earth day'.

I am back due to the passing away of my grandfather. All the family is here together and the good memories of his life have balanced the sad moments. Landing in Santiago this time was different. Such strong memories of my trip and of him came rushing back. Memories that seem like they had faded so quickly as I slid back into my Canadian routine and lifestyle. But I will never forget the smells that greet you in Santiago as you step out of the airport. Its like a smokey sweet blend of smog, warm dry air and the stale Mapocho river. When I got to the 13th floor of the apartment building I realized I had not remembered how bad the smog gets here in the fall. Literally: where did the cordillera go?

There is no computer or internet in this apartment so yesterday I tried to find a wireless connection I could link to on my laptop. After about 25 networks asking for passwords (lots of tall apartment buildings in this area of the city) I found one that works in a 1m cubed zone close to the window by my grandmother's desk. After standing near the window holding the computer on my knee for a while I figured out that I can use it on the desk then just hold the thing above my head near the window every time I press 'send' or switch pages. It makes me laugh to think what the neighbours in the next building think I'm up to.

I went to the supermarket a couple days ago to stock up on food with Alicia. Apart from almost freaking out trying to enter a multi lane roundabout where endless streams of cars were flying by, everything was fine until we got to the juice isle. An action that has brought a smile to my face so many times before became so hard to do. As I slowly placed the box of Watt's apricot nectar in the cart it really hit me. The man who created all this is no longer here, and even though the company was sold years ago seeing that carton always brings back those stories he told me so many times of how it all started.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We send our love and warm wishes, Tyler and Claire.